Except there was no word from Fani or Nathalie.... but finally an email arrived from Fani on Wednesday, all is well and she's ready for our guys to arrive.
But Anne was slowly going into meltdown, despite several phone calls, voice mail every time, and emails, the French transporter remained incommunicado for the best part of 48 hours. Martine was putting a brave face on it, but Anne, after a very sleepless night, with flash like dreams of two horses wandering free in a French motorway service area slowly chomping the grass, or being picked up by a random horse slaughterer, finally cracked on Thursday morning. After several fruitless phone calls to alternative transporters, she finally picked up the phone :
Anne: " Martine I cannot send Gigi off to France with no firm arrangement the other end"
Martine : "Mullins will kill us if we cancel"
Anne: "I don't care, I can't do it"
So contingency plans were made, Frances Whooley, another Irish "barefooter" was contacted and agreed to take the horses for a while which would give us a chance to reorganise the transport arrangements.
Despondent but not feeling quite so sick, Anne returned to her morning cuppa and Martine went trawling through internet forums looking for recommendations for transport companies.
Five minutes later, Anne's mobile rang, one apologetic French transporter: "I've been out of mobile contact for a few days on a delivery to Belgium, yes I can collect the horses Saturday or Sunday"
At the same time, Martine was checking her email, from her sister, "sorry, two sets of four, or fours pairs, my mistake!", another sigh of relief!
So it's all on again, and though neither of us is happy that we won't be there before the horses, at least Anne won't be too far behind them, and the forecast for the travel days is fairly good.
They are being collected from Martine's at 10:30 Friday morning, put away the valium, let the adventure begin..... although neither of us will relax until we see a photo of them grazing contentedly in a paddock in Céreste.